01 June 2009

Kangaroo Fillet with Basil Garlic Paste

I was doubtful whether to post this recipe but a quick search of available kangaroo recipes revealed a theme to me: kangaroo is imagined to be tough and/or gamey, and recipes tend to focus on making it super spicy (eg. curry) or stewing it for a long time or both. Horrors! I just don't see the point of having a lovely, exotic meat, and burying the flavor.

My recipe does the complete opposite: you don't cook the meat for any longer than you like (I prefer medium rare) and it stays moist and tender. It's pretty simple, and I imagine this recipe would also work well for other meats:

Make a paste of garlic, fresh basil, nuts, olive oil and salt to taste. (Sort of like pesto without the cheese.) Spread in a layer over the kangaroo fillets, coating all over (about the thickness of peanut butter on a sandwich). I did this a few hours before cooking to let the flavors go through the meat. When ready to cook, roll the fillets in cornflake crumbs or breadcrumbs and fry on both sides.

To serve, slice diagonally.

No comments:

Post a Comment